This soup is one of my favorites, not only because I LOVE clam chowder, but because it is SO stinking easy. This is done in 30-45 minutes, max, and ahhhhh. It’s totally a meal in a bowl.
- 1/2 cup salted butter
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 51 ounce can Costco clams
- 12 small to medium red potatoes peeled and diced, approximately xl egg sized
- 2 cups half and half
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 tsp ground thyme
- 1/4 tsp white pepper
- Salt to taste
- Melt butter in a large stock pot over low heat. Continue cooking until lightly browned. Add flour into the butter and whisk to combine. Continue whisking and heating over low heat for about 5 minutes, or until the flour also starts to brown a bit. You want this mixture to be a nice nutty golden brown color.
- Pour the clams & juice into the pot as well as the cream and half and half. Stir to combine and bring to a light simmer.
- Put your diced potatoes on a plate and microwave for 3-5 minutes, checking frequently. You want the potatoes to be about 1/2 way to fork tender. Remove from microwave and add to the stock pot.
- Add the thyme and white pepper, stir, and simmer for about 10-15 minutes, or until the potatoes are cooked.